Q. How can I create a password protected PDF file with Word?
A. I recently needed to create a password protected PDF file however this is not possible with the free Adobe Reader application. Fortunately Word has the ability to password protect a PDF file:
- Create your document or open an existing PDF document using Word
- From the File menu select Save As
- Browse to a location to save the document
- Select PDF (*.pdf) as the document type and click the Options... button
- In the PDF options section check the Encrypt the document with a password option
- You will be prompted to type in the password twice and then click OK