Are you new to working with SQL Server and need help getting started? Or maybe you’re a senior DBA and just want to brush up on your SQL Server skills. No matter what skill level you’re at, SQL Server Magazine offers articles that cover everything you need to know about database administration. Get started learning how to get the most out of SQL Server by reading the following articles:
Pinal Dave offers a great series aimed at helping you learn SQL Server fundamentals. Click here to check out a list of his Sharpen Your Basic SQL Server Skills articles.
If you’re interested in learning the basics about T-SQL, take a look at Bill McEvoy’s 10-part T-SQL 101 series.
- Lesson 1: How to use the SELECT statement to retrieve data
- Lesson 2: How to use the INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE statements
- Lesson 3: How to use SELECT statements to aggregate data
- Lesson 4: How to use the GROUP BY clause in SELECT statements
- Lesson 5: How to join tables
- Lesson 6: How to create tables
- Lesson 7: How and when to use views
- Lesson 8: How useful scalar functions can be
- Lesson 9: How to transform data with two types of CASE functions
- Lesson 10: How to create stored procedures and why you'd want to
Whether you’ve worked with SQL Server from the beginning and need a refresher or you’re just getting started with it, I recommend reading the following SQL Server fundamentals articles:
- SQL Server Backup Best Practices
- Building Your First Cube
- SQL Server Management Studio Keyboard Shortcuts
- Securing Your SQL Server Environment
- SQL Server 2008 (and Earlier) Build Versions
- SQL Server Reporting Services Questions Answered
- Find Strings in Database Code, SQL Server Agent Jobs, and SSIS Packages
- SSIS Logging Best Practices
If you have SQL Server questions, send them to [email protected] and I’ll do my best to get them answered by a SQL Server expert. The following are some of the questions our experts have answered in the past:
- Q: How do I retrieve values from a table and store the results in a string?
- Q. What is the support policy for hosting a clustered SQL Server instance in a virtual environment?
- Q: How can I create unique primary keys that are easy for customers to use?
- Q: How can I extract reports from a data source for field agents to access while on the road?
- Q: What's the best way to keep client data on a SQL Server Compact Edition database in sync?
- Q. Does Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007 (SCCM) support SQL Server 2008?
- Q. Can I perform an in-place upgrade from Microsoft SQL Server SQL 2000 or SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008?
You can view even more basic SQL Server content by clicking here.