Q. What are the options for hosting a NAS in Azure?
A. It is not possible to host your own hardware in any Azure datacenter however there are a number of approaches to expose NAS services in Azure:
- If you are using ExpressRoute you can host a NAS on your own premises or at a hoster facility which will be available to your services in Azure with very low latency
- Leverage Azure Files which provides an SMB service available to services in the same Azure region. More detail available at http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/updates/preview-azure-files/
- SoftNAS Cloud Express provides a cloud NAS filer that leverages Azure storage providing support for SMB, NFS and iSCSI. Available in the Azure Marketplace at http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/partners/softnas/softnas-cloud-express-subscription/
- http://www.nasuni.com/ and http://panzura.com/ provide storage solutions available through Azure
- StorSimple is an on-premises appliance that stores data in Azure but also runs as a virtual appliance in Azure if required