A. If you have many different programs and program groups installed and you click Start, Programs, the list of applications might take up a large part of the screen or not all fit on screen. To configure the desktop to display the available programs in one column with a navigation bar that lets you scroll through the list, perform the following steps:
- Right-click the Start button, then select Properties from the displayed context menu.
- Click the Customize button.
- If you're using XP's Classic Start menu, select the Scroll Programs check box under "Advanced Start menu options." If you're using XP's non-Classic Start menu, select the Advanced tab, select Scroll Programs under "Start menu items."
- Click OK to close all dialog boxes.
You can also configure the Scroll Programs setting directly in the registry by performing the following steps:
- Start a registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe).
- Navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced registry subkey.
- Double-click StartMenuScrollPrograms, set the value to Yes to scroll or No to not scroll, then click OK.
- Close the registry editor.
- Log off and log on for the change to take effect.