Subscribe to Windows IT Pro:
Make sure your copy of Windows Tips & Tricks UPDATE isn't mistakenly blocked by antispam software! Be sure to add [email protected] to your list of allowed senders and contacts.
This email newsletter comes to you free and is supported by the following advertisers, which offer products and services in which you might be interested. Please take a moment to visit these advertisers' Web sites and show your support for Windows Tips & Tricks UPDATE.
Sponsor: TNT Software
Download a Tool that will Benefit any Sys Admin Are you searching for an affordable real-time monitoring toolset that will support your proactive system management objectives? Start NOW and download ELM Enterprise Manager from TNT Software. Within an hour, you will experience for yourself why ELM is recognized as the tool that will benefit any System Administrator. Before the 30 Day full feature trial is completed, the Monitoring, Alerting and Reporting will have saved you time and provided you the data for prompt corrective action. Be Proactive; and download ELM Enterprise Manager from the link below:
- Q. How can I create a file that contains the usernames and email addresses for a specific organizational unit (OU) or Container?
- Q. What is Microsoft System Center?
- Q. How do I uninstall the Novell NetWare client?
- Q. What changes has Microsoft made to the Windows Genuine Advantage tool?
- Q. What's new in Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) 7.0?
Sponsor: Prism Microsystems
Track user activities in your Windows environment, including how to generate basic user activity reports to help detect attacks and suspicious behavior on your network!
Q. How can I create a file that contains the usernames and email addresses for a specific organizational unit (OU) or Container?
A. The following script, which you can download here, outputs to file with a pipe (|) delimiter a user's given name, surname (sn), and email address. This output file can then be read into a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet with the pipe set as the delimiter for cell-based access to the data.
Dim strFilePath, strLdapPath, objFSO, objFile, objConnection, objChild
' Check all arguments required have been passed If Wscript.Arguments.Count
required. For example:" & vbCrLf _ & "cscript listuserswithemail.vbs ou=test,dc=demo,dc=test c:\User.txt" Wscript.Quit(0) End If
strLdapPath = Wscript.Arguments(0)
strFilePath = Wscript.Arguments(1)
Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
' Open the file for write access. On Error Resume Next Set objFile = objFSO.OpenTextFile(strFilePath, 2, True, 0) If Err.Number 0 Then On Error GoTo 0 Wscript.Echo "File " & strFilePath & " cannot be opened" Wscript.Quit(1) End If On Error GoTo 0
Set objConnection = GetObject("LDAP://" & strLdapPath) objConnection.Filter = Array("user")
For Each objChild In objConnection WScript.Echo objChild.Name & vbTab & objChild.givenName & " " _ & objChild.sn & " " & objChild.mail objFile.WriteLine objChild.givenName & "|" & objChild.sn & "|" & objChild.mail Next
' Close file connection objFile.Close
Wscript.Echo "Operation Completed"
Run the script using the following command: D:\Temp>cscript listuserswithemail.vbs "ou=justice league,dc=savilltech,dc=com" listuserswithemail.txt
The script produced this output when run on my system:
Q. What is Microsoft System Center?
A. Microsoft is rebranding its Systems Management Server (SMS) and Microsoft Operations Management (MOM) products to be part of the Microsoft System Center line of products. Here's what's new in the Microsoft System Center line:
- The next version of SMS will be Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007.
- The next version of MOM will be Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007.
- System Center Service Desk enables self-service portals for users; Configuration Management Database provides information on the current and desired configuration state.
- System Center Essentials brings together best of breed management technologies to simplify securing, updating, and monitoring the environment.
- System Center Data Protection Manager enables disk-based backup technologies for rapid restoration capabilities.
- System Center Reporting Manager enables powerful reporting via a data warehouse.
You can find more information about System Center at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/systemcenter/default.mspx.
Q. How do I uninstall the Novell NetWare client?
A. To uninstall the NetWare client, perform these steps:
- Open the Network Connections windows (Start, Settings, Network Connections).
- Right-click the "Local Area Connection" and select Properties.
- Select Novell Client for Windows 2000 or Novell Client for Windows XP.
- Click the Uninstall button. Confirm the prompts for removing the Novell Client.
- You might be prompted to restart the computer. If so prompted, restart the computer and removal is complete. If you're not prompted to restart, then removal is complete.
- Close the Local Area Connection status window.
Q. What changes has Microsoft made to the Windows Genuine Advantage tool?
A. On April 25, 2006, Microsoft released a high-priority update to the Windows Genuine Advantage tool, which you can read about in the article "Description of the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications application" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=905474 ). The tool performs more intrusive reminders if your copy of Windows XP isn't genuine. Specifically, these changes are:
- A new WGA Notification tool that places an icon in the system tray if your Windows installation isn't genuine
- A prompt at logon with instructions on how to obtain a genuine copy of Windows if your version isn't genuine
- Periodic notifications (about once per hour) with the same notice as the logon notification if your Windows isn't genuine
- A cleaner interface that has less clutter and includes tabbed browsing. (You can enable the old menus via the Classic Menu selection in the toolbar options.) The figure shows an example of the new interface.
- A thumbnail view called "Quick Tab" that lets you quickly see the content of all current tabbed pages
- Printing that rescales content to fit to a page correctly (without spilling over and losing text)
- Integrated search bar that lets you use a search provider of your choice
- Improved RSS feed experience consisting of highlighting any links to RSS feeds and a new RSS management area to enable easy previewing of RSS feeds and subscriptions
- New security features around ActiveX loading and phishing protection and an easier history deletion process
You'll find a complete list of new IE features at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/about/features/default.mspx .
Hot Release (advertisement)
Learn how application packaging can cut your OS migration time while maintaining error-free deployment.
Events and Resources
(A complete Web and live events directory brought to you by Windows IT Pro: http://www.windowsitpro.com/events )
- Mark Russinovich and David Solomon present their hands-on Windows internals and advanced troubleshooting class, featuring the Sysinternals tools in London (June 26-30), San Francisco (Sep 18-22), and Austin (Dec 11-15). Topics include crash dump analysis, internals of processes and threads, memory management, security, I/O, and the boot process. Updated for Vista!
- Make sure that your DR systems are up to the challenge of a real natural disaster by learning from messaging survivors of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. On-Demand Web Seminar
- Learn about the advantages of each alternative to traditional file servers and tape storage solutions, and make the best choice for your enterprise needs.
- How will compliance regulations affect your IT infrastructure? Help design your retention and retrieval, privacy, and security policies to make sure that your organization is compliant.
- Your Guide to Exchange 2003 High Availability
- Access to 26,000 IT Articles
- May Exclusive--Get $100 off the Windows IT Security Newsletter
- About the newsletter — [email protected]
- About technical questions — http://www.windowsitpro.com/forums
- About product news — [email protected]
- About your subscription — [email protected]
- About sponsoring UPDATE — [email protected]
If after 14 days of notifications your copy of Windows is still not genuine, you'll no longer be able to access Windows Update (critical security fixes will still be available via Automatic Update). Also, Users who have not validated their computers as genuine won't be able to install many updates, including Internet Explorer 7.0 and Windows Defender. It's possible to turn off the notifications on non-genuine installations but the system tray icon will remain and notifications may re-occur if Microsoft releases a new Windows Genuine Advantage tool.
Q. What's new in Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) 7.0?
A. Microsoft included several new features in the new IE 7.0 release, which you can download at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx . The new features include:
Take an up-to-date look at secure, remote access to corporate applications and stay ahead of the curve when making decisions about near- and long-term IT infrastructure. Live Event: Tuesday, May 16
Featured White Paper
(from Windows IT Pro and its partners)
Many things can affect your messaging system's availability, including component failure, power outages, operator errors, and natural disasters. This FREE white paper will help you plan and implement reliable strategies to maintain highly available Exchange Server 2003 messaging systems. Download it today!
(from Windows IT Pro and its partners)
Become a VIP subscriber and get continuous, inside access to ALL content published in Windows IT Pro. SQL Server Magazine, and the Exchange and Outlook Administrator, Windows Scripting Solutions. and Windows IT Security newsletters. That's more than 26,000 articles at your fingertips. You'll also get a valuable one-year print subscription to Windows IT Pro and biannual VIP CDs that contain the entire article database. Order now:
For a limited time, order the Windows IT Security newsletter and SAVE up to $100! In addition to 12 helpful issues loaded with solutions you won't find anywhere else, you'll get FREE access to the entire Windows IT Security online article database. Subscribe now:
Here's how to reach us with your comments and questions:
This email newsletter is brought to you by Windows IT Pro, the leading publication for IT professionals deploying Windows and related technologies. Subscribe today.