A. A. If when you type SET or PATH at a command prompt, you notice that the %SystemRoot% environment variable has not been expanded this is a problem and needs to be corrected:
- Start the Registry Editor (regedt32.exe)
- Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
- Look at the Path in the right hand pane and check the type (its the
second part), e.g.
Path: REG_EXPAND_SZ: %SystemRoot% etc.
If the type is not REG_EXPAND_SZ then perform the next steps, if not exit the Registry Editor
- Double click on Path and select the contents and press Ctrl-C to copy to the clipboard
- While Path is still selected, select Delete from the Edit menu (or click the Del key). Confirm the deletion
- Make sure Environment is selected in the left hand pane and select "Add Value" from the Edit menu
- Enter a name of Path (note the capital P in path), and type REG_EXPAND_SZ. Click OK
- Double click Path and Ctrl-V to copy back in the info you copied into the clipboard. Click OK
- Close the Registry Editor
You can also check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRoot and make sure that this REG_SZ value conains the proper path (e:\winnt).