This procedure will remove unwanted styles and formatting from a document.
- Turn on the Styles and Formatting task pane.
- In the Show box at the bottom of the pane, select Formatting in use.
- Click the drop-down arrow next to an unwanted style or format and choose Select All.
- Click a style that you want to use to replace the unwanted formatting. The new style will be applied to all text that used to have the unwanted formatting. Because the unwanted formatting is no longer in use, it disappears from the list.
- Repeat steps 3-4 until all unwanted formatting is removed.
- Click the drop-down arrow next to the Show box and choose Custom.
- In the Format Settings box, click the drop-down arrow under Category and choose User-defined styles.
- Click OK.
- Delete any unwanted styles by clicking the drop-down list next to the style and choosing Delete. If the style is still in use, repeat steps 3-4 before deleting the style.