- Choose Tools → Macro ? Record New Macro.
- The Record Macro dialog box appears.
- Enter a name for the macro.
- Generally, you should store your macros in the Personal Macro Workbook. Choose Personal Macro Workbook from the Store Macro In drop-down list.
- In the Macro Options dialog box, you can assign the macro to a shortcut key.
- Click OK.
- Do the sequence of commands that you want recorded
- Click the Stop button that appears in the macro toolbar.
The real art of recording a macro is ensuring that you only record the steps required to automate the task--nothing more, nothing less--and to replay that task in future, perhaps more generic situations.