A. Partly. The automatic seeding process usually occurs over a network, but it is possible to take the database offline, copy it to media, and then copy it to the passive node. You must take the database offline on the active node. Microsoft doesn't support taking a backup of an active database and restoring it to a passive node, but some backup vendors offer this functionality.
- How does cluster continuous replication (CCR) work in Microsoft Exchange Server?
- How can I easily install the Windows Server 2008 roles and features that Exchange Server 2007 requires?
- When I try to perform a mailbox move, why do I get errors with accounts that have whitespace in the Name or DisplayName?
- What Mail Server Are You Using?
- Who Says You Need Microsoft Exchange Server?
Check out hundreds more useful Q&As like this in John Savill's FAQ for Windows. Also, watch instructional videos made by John at ITTV.net.