A. Windows NT RAS has support for Unimodem modems and can be configured as follows:
- Start the registry editor (regedit.exe)
- Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ras\Protocols
- From the Edit menu select New - DWORD value
- Enter a name of EnableUnimodem and press enter
- Leave as the default value of 0
- Close the registry editor
Once enabled you will only have the options to select from the list of modems (in modem.inf) and not 'Have disk' or 'Install Modem' option.
If your modem does not exist on the list of modems download the modems .inf file from the manufacturer and copy to modem.inf in the %systemroot%\system32\RAS or just add details to the original modem.inf file. Make sure you backup the original modem.inf file.
Run the Network control panel applet and select services. Select Remote Access Services and click Properties. Remove any ports currently defined and click Add, add the ports and RAS will use the MODEM.INF file to get initialization information for the modem.