Microsoft Download Center Article Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager 2006 Management Pack for Microsoft Operations Manager 2005 contains the following overview:
Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM) is a server software application that enables disk-based data protection and recovery for
file servers within an Active Directory domain. DPM performs replication, synchronization, and shadow copy creation to provide reliable
protection and rapid recovery of data by both system administrators and end users.
With the DPM Management Pack, an administrator can centrally monitor the state of data protection and recovery for multiple DPM servers and the file servers that they protect. The Management Pack also monitors key health and performance indicators on DPM servers.
For DPM servers, the DPM Management Pack monitors the state of DPM database and service health, server performance, and key indicators such as disk availability and configuration changes to volumes protected by DPM.
For protected file servers, the DPM Management Pack monitors the state of connectivity with DPM, data recovery operations for protected volumes, and replicas and shadow copies that are stored on the DPM server.
- Centrally monitor the health and state of data protection for multiple DPM servers and the file servers that they protect.
- In State Views, view consolidated state for critical services, components, and protection activities in DPM at a glance. For DPM servers, view the state of database and service health, performance, and other indicators. For protected file servers, view the state of connectivity, data recovery operations, replicas, and shadow copies.
- Monitor resource usage and performance trends on DPM servers.
- Monitor actionable DPM alerts relating to replica creation, synchronization, shadow copies, and recoveries. The Management Pack filters out alerts that do not require an action.
- Through MOM alerts, monitor the status of memory, CPU, and disk resources on DPM servers, and find out about database and service failures.
- Read Product Knowledge to get comprehensive practical information for diagnosing and resolving alerts.
- Use tasks to diagnose and resolve problems on remote DPM servers.