During the installation of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP, or Service Pack 1 for Windows Server 2003, the installation terminates with:
Setup cannot copy the file Atapi.sys
Ensure that the location specified below is correct, or change it and insert <Operating System*gt; Files in the drive you specify.
This behavior can occur if a program locks the Atapi.sys driver file, preventing Update.exe from backing up the file, prior to installing an updated version.
To workaround this problem:
1. In the error dialog, press Cancel.
2. When you receive Do you want to continue Setup without copying this file?, press No.
NOTE: The above responses cause Update.exe to roll back the installation. If you press Yes, no backup of Atapi.sys will be made. If you later uninstall the Service Pack, Windows will become unstable.
3. Uninstall the offending 3rd-party program.
4. Install the Service Pack.
5. Re-install the 3rd-party program.