The subject behavior occurs because when waking from the s3 (Standby), or S4 (hibernate) power saving state, your computer may need 5 to 10 seconds before the selective suspend feature of the USB driver stops interfering with new hardware detection.
NOTE: The timing depends on a number of factors:
- Host controller hardware.
- Attached hubs.
- Attached devices.
- USB driver versions.
- USB 2.0 support.
- Other hardware / configuration variables.
To workaround this behavior, use any of the following:
- Wait 5 - 10 seconds before plugging in the device.
- Unplug the device and plug it back in.
- Use Device Manager to Scan for hardware changes.
- Start / Run / Devmgmt.msc / OK.
- Use the Action menu to Scan for hardware changes.
- Close Device Manager.