When you visit the Windows Update site from Windows Server 2003, and press Scan for updates, the scan result is zero percent, and you may receive one of the subject errors.
The behavior is the result of certain .DLL files not being registered correctly.
To fix this problem:
1. Open a CMD.EXE window.
2. Type regsvr32 Softpub.dll and press Enter.
3. Press OK to the DllRegisterServer in Softpub.dll succeeded message.
4. Type regsvr32 Wintrust.dll and press Enter.
5. Press OK to the DllRegisterServer in Wintrust.dll succeeded message.
6. Type regsvr32 Initpki.dll and press Enter.
7. Press OK to the DllRegisterServer in Initpki.dll succeeded message.
8. Close the CMD.EXE window.
9. Shutdown and restart your server.