The subject behavior will occur if the changes cannot be replicated within 5 minutes.
The event log contains a warning similar to:
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: NTDS Replication
Event Category: DS RPC Client
Event ID: 1232
Description: Active Directory attempted to perform a remote procedure call (RPC) to the following server. The call timed out and was canceled.
Call Timeout (Mins): 5
Thread ID: <Thread_ID>
To fix this problem, either increase the bandwidth of your network so that Active Directory replication finishes within 5 minutes, or adjust the timeout:
1. Use Regedit.exe to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters.
2. Right-click the Parameters key and press New and DWORD.
3. Type RPC Replication Timeout (mins) and press Enter.
4. Right-click the RPC Replication Timeout (mins) Value Name and press Modify.
5. Using the Decimal radix, type the number of minutes you wish to use for Active Directory replication timeout, and press OK.
NOTE: If your Windows Server 2003 computer was upgraded from Windows 2000, or is part of a Windows 2000 environment, try using 45 minutes.