After you install a new hard disk and restart Windows XP, you receive the subject message and the Found New Hardware Wizard starts.
When you view the new hard disk in Device Manager, it may have a yellow exclamation mark. The drive letter for this new hard disk does NOT appear in Windows Explorer or Disk Management.
This behavior is symptomatic of having one or more filter driver entries that prevent the hard disk from properly installing.
To resolve this issue:
1. Close all open applications.
2. Copy / Paste the following to a NoFilters.reg file:
3. Open a CMD.EXE prompt.
4. Type regedit /s NoFilters.reg and press Enter.
5. Type shutdown -r and press Enter.
6. When you log on, the Found New Hardware Wizard starts. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the hard disk.
7. Restart the computer.
8. Start / Run / devmgmt.msc / OK.
9. Expand Disk drives and verify that the new disk drive is installed and working properly.