If after installing SP1, you wish to remove it, but you cannot use Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs, or you cannot boot / log on:
1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM.
2. Restart your computer and when the Press any key to boot from CD message appears, press the space bar.
3. Press Enter when the Welcome to Setup screen contains:
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
4. Press F8 in the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen to accept the license agreement.
5. Select the appropriate installation of Windows XP and press R to initiate a repair.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions.
7. When Setup is completed, you may have to reactivate Windows XP.
8. If the %systemroot%\$NtServicePackUninstall$
folder exists, delete it.