After an upgrade to Windows XP, user accounts that previously had no password have an unknown password, and the user's can NOT log on.
During setup, a temporary password is assigned to each user, and should be removed when setup completes. If setup does NOT remove the password, you can retrieve them from the %Windir%\Setupoact.log file.
If Windows XP is installed on a FAT32 partition, you can use your Windows 98 or Windows ME start startup disk. You can then edit the %Windir%\Setupoact.log file and record the Random password for <Username> is xxxxxxxxxxxxx entries. The users can then log on and reset their passwords.
If Windows XP is installed on an NTFS partition:
1. Start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. Select the appropriate installation.
4. Enter the Administrator password or press Enter if the Administrator password is blank.
5. Type the following command and press Enter:
6. Record the Random password for <Username> is xxxxxxxxxxxxx entries.
7. Type exit and press Enter to restart the computer normally. Users can log on and reset their password.