To convert a Windows NT 4.0 WINS database for use on a Windows 2000 server:
1. Open a CMD prompt on the Windows 2000 server.
2. Type net stop wins and press Enter.
3. Open a CMD promt on the Windows NT 4.0 server and type net stop wins, pressing Enter.
4. Copy the contents of the WINS folder, %SystemRoot%\System32\WINS from Windows NT 4.0 to %SystemRoot%\System32\WINS on the Windows 2000 server.
5. On the Windows 2000 server, mount the Windows 2000 CD-ROM and type expand <CD-ROM>\I386\Edb500.dl_ %SystemRoot%\System32\edb500.dll.
6. Start WINS on both servers by typing net start wins and pressing Enter on each server. You should receive a message that conversion is taking place. DO NOT stop this lenghty (up to an hour), CPU intensive, process.
NOTE: You may receive a system error and the event log may contain an event recording the start of conversion.
NOTE: At the conclusion of the conversion, your event log should contain:
Event Type: Information Event Source: JetConv Event Category: None Event ID: 1000 Date: 2/17/2002 Time: 11:18:02 AM User: N/A Computer: <ComputerName> Description: The Jet Conversion utility has converted the database for the "WINS" service, database file in "c:\winnt\system32\wins\wins.mdb". The backup files of the old (pre-conversion) database have not been removed from "c:\winsbackup". This directory can be cleaned up to free up disk space.