When you start your Windows 2000 Server, the System Event log may contain:
Event Type: Error Event Source: Service Control Manager Event Category: None Event ID: 7022 Description: The Removable Storage service hung on starting.This problem cane be caused by any of the following:
- The %SystemRoot%\System32\NtmsData folder is missing.
- The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtmsSvc key, or its' Enum, Config, Parameters, or Security sub-keys, or Value Names, are missing or corrupt.
- The Initialized sub-key is missing or damaged at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\NTMS.
NOTE: If you try to manually start the Removable Storage service, you may receive error 1053.
To correct this problem, perform either of the following procedures:
1. Restore a recent System State Backup.
2. Shutdown and restart your server.
1. If the %SystemRoot%\System32\NtmsData folder is missing, create it. If it exists, delete all its files and sub-folders.
2. Right-click the %Systemroot%\INF\Rsm.inf file and press Install.
3. Shutdown and restart your server.
NOTE: See tip 4037.