When you try to install a Windows 2000 Service Pack, you receive:
Cannot install the Service Pack.
The Print Spooler service is not started.
If the Print Spooler service is not started or is set to Manual, Update.exe will automatically start it to install the Service Pack. If the Print Spooler service is set to Disabled, you will receive the previous message.
To resolve this issue:
1. Control Panel / Administrative Tools.
2. Component Services / Services.
3. Right-click Print Spooler and press Properties.
4. On the General Tab, change Startup type to Manual.
5. Press Apply.
6. Press Start.
7. Press OK.
8. Install the Service Pack.