A. This problem can occur if any of the Windows Me/Win98 startup files are missing and will result in any of the following errors:
- The C:\windows\ifshlp.sys file is missing or corrupted.
- The C:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd file is missing or corrupted.
- The Windows Me or Win98 splash screen is displayed then the computer stops responding.
To resolve these errors, perform the following steps:
- Insert a Windows Me or Win98 startup disk and boot the machine.
- Replace the boot sector and overwrite the startup files using the sys command by typing at the command prompt
- Remove the startup disk and reboot the machine by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del.