A. Like Windows 2000, Exchange 2000 initially operates in mixed mode so older Exchange 5.5 servers can participate in the organization. However, when you no longer have Exchange 5.5 servers, have no plans to add any, and don't use any connectors that require Exchange 5.5, you can switch to native mode.
WARNING: As with Win2K, this switch is a one-way operation; you can't reverse it.
- Start the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) Exchange System Manager (ESM) snap-in (Start, Programs, Microsoft Exchange, System Manager).
- Right-click the root of the Organization, and select Properties.
- Click Change Mode.
- Click Yes to the confirmation.
- Click OK to close the dialog box.
After you switch to native mode, you gain two benefits:
- Greater flexibility for defining routing and administrative groups
- The ability to move mailboxes between servers in the same administrative group