A. Terminal Server has built in support for Windows for Workgroups but they must have TCP/IP 32b installed (this can be downloaded from Microsoft at http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q111/6/82.asp). I found this out the hard way! TCP/IP can be installed using the Network setup icon in WFW. You may want to run MEMMAKER after installation of TCP/IP to "tidy" your memory, I had to, just choose Express.
To create floppy disks for Windows for Workgroups TS client installation perform the following:
- Logon to the Terminal Server machine
- Select 'Terminal Server Client Creator' from the Administrative tools branch (Start - Programs - Administrative Tools - Terminal Server Client Creator)
- You will be shown a dialog box giving options for
- Terminal Server Client for WFW
- Terminal Server Client for Windows 95/NT Intel
- Terminal Server Client for Windows 95/NT Alpha
Click here to view image
- Select the client (Terminal Server Client for WFW) and the destination drive (you can only select a floppy) and click OK
- You will be asked to insert a number of disks. Click OK
- The required files will then be copied to the disk
- Click OK once complete
- Close the dialog box
All the above does is copy the contents of %systemroot%\system32\clients\tsclient\win32\disks\disk1 to disk so you could directly copy or share this directory. There is also a net subdirectory of tsclient which also contains the clients with each client in its own subdirectory without the disk1 etc. folders, so you could share out this folder to allow access to all client installations. Sharing the net folder would be the prefered method.
To install the client perform the following:
- Either insert the disk created above or connect to a share containing its files
- Execute Setup.exe
- The Terminal Server client execution program will start. Click OK to the dialog.
- Enter username and company. Click OK. Click OK again to the confirmation
- Click 'I agree' to the license agreement
- Click the large setup button (you can change the installation folder at this point)
- You will be asked how you want the application installed, either for all users to have the same initial settings or just for you. Click Yes
- Files will be copied and a success message shown. Click OK.
A new program group "Terminal Server Client" has been added with 2 utilities and an uninstall option.
Click here to view image
Windows 2000 3D Pinball on Windows for Workgroups 3.11, impressive :-)