A. If you don't enjoy appearing as a cat, an astronaut, or a fish (the default picture choices for the Welcome screen), you can configure your own picture by performing the following steps:
- Start the User Accounts Control Panel applet (Start, Control Panel, User Accounts).
- Select the account whose picture you want to change.
- Click Change my picture.
- The system will display a list of default pictures. Click "Browse for More Pictures."
- By default, the system will open your My Pictures folder. Browse to your picture (it should be 48 pixels x 48 pixels—if it's a different size, the system will force it into a 48x48 format—and can be a BMP, JPG, or GIF file). Select the picture you want and click Open.
- The system will display all the pictures again, highlighting the one you added. Click Change Picture.
This picture selection is actually stored in the registry under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Hints\\[user name\]\PictureSource key, and you can change it there. By default, the pictures are stored in %systemdrive%:\Documents and Settings\All UsersApplication Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures.