A. A. If you have the Key Management Server installed each time you start the KM service you have to either insert a disk with the password on or manually enter it depending on your configuration.
It is possible to configure the service to look on the hard disk although this is not recommended due to security reasons however on development systems this may be OK.
- Create a directory on your local harddisk (or you could use an existing directory)
- Copy the file kmserver.pwd from the floppy disk created to the local directory, e.g. d:\exchsrvr
- Start the registry editor (regedit.exe)
- Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\KMServer
- Double click on MasterPasswordPath
- Change from A:\ to the directory, e.g. d:\exchsrvr. Click OK
- Close the registry editor
Next time the service is started it will look for the password file on the local harddisk and not prompt for a disk to be entered.