A. The Network Bridge feature in XP Professional and XP Home Edition can forward network packets; however, this capability can cause major problems on some networks. To permanently disable packet forwarding, perform the following steps:
- Start a registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe).
- Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BridgeMP registry subkey.
- From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD Value; enter the name DisableForwarding; then press Enter.
- Double-click the new value, set it to 1, then click OK.
- Close the registry editor.
- Reboot the machine for the change to take effect.
Thanks to Brian Howson for providing this tip.