A. Service Pack 4 introduces a new feature which before performing a chkdsk of a disk if its dirty bit is set a 30 second countdown timer is given allowing you to cancel to chkdsk from running.
If you want to modify this 30 second value perform the following:
- Start the registry editor
- Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
- From the Edit menu select New - DWORD Value. Enter a name of AutoChkTimeOut and press ENTER
- Double click this new value and set to 0 to disable the timer, or the time in seconds you wish to be given to cancel the chkdsk.
- Close the registry editor
The change will take effect at the next reboot