A. The multiuser editing feature of Office XP's version of Word lets you open a locked file, edit the file locally, and merge your changes into the original document. To disable this feature, perform the following steps:
- Start a registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe).
- Navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Word\Options subkey.
- From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD Value.
- Enter a name of NoPromptToForkDocuments and press Enter.
- Double-click the new value, set it to 1 to disable multiuser editing, and click OK.