A. If you select the Screen Saver tab of the Desktop control panel applet you can configure Power saving settings which include powering off the monitor after x minutes. To enable the monitor to power off for the logon screen perform the following on each machine:
- Start the registry editor (regedit.exe)
- Move to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop
- Double click PowerOffActive and set to 1. Click OK
- Double click ScreenSaveActive and set to 1. Click OK
- Double click SCRNSAVE.EXE (if present) and set to "(NONE)" (don't type the quotes). Click OK
- Move to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\PowerCfg
- Double click CurrentPowerPolicy and set to 0 (the Home/Office Desk power setting configuration). Click OK
- Close the registry editor
- Reboot the machine
To change the settings such as monitor timeout change the settings on your local profile, export HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg\PowerPolicies\0 to a file and import to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\PowerCfg\PowerPolicies\0.
If you need to do this on lots of machines create a .reg file and push via a login/startup script (which can be specified via Group Policy).