A. When you install XP, you must enter a product key to register the software with Microsoft. However, if you want to use a different key to activate the software after installation (e.g., maybe you originally used an existing key during installation and have since purchased a new license), perform the following steps:
- Start the activation process as usual (go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, then select Activate Windows).
- Click "Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows," then click Next.
- Click the "Change Product Key" button.
- Enter the new key, then click Update.
- Click Telephone, then continue with the activation.