A. You can edit the registry to modify the order of hardware profiles on your system. To do so, complete the following steps:
- Start the registry editor (regedit.exe).
- Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\IDConfigDB\Hardware Profiles.
- You’ll see several subkeys (e.g., 0001, 0002), and each key has a FriendlyName and a PreferenceOrder under the name.
- Select each subkey, and modify the PreferenceOrder, starting from 0 and incrementing by one for each entry.
- Close the registry editor.
- Reboot the computer to see your new order.
Make sure that you don’t have any gaps or you might experience problems.
You can also use the System Control Panel applet’s Hardware Profiles tab to change the display order (use the arrows).