- Choose Format → Bullets and Numbering.
The Bullets and Numbering dialog box appears.
- Click the Numbered tab.
There are seven list styles in the gallery, plus the None option, which removes numbers from selected text.
The Reset button allows you to reset a customized list style back to its default.
- Select a style that is not currently in use.
- Click Customize.
The Customize Numbered List dialog box appears.
- Customize the list using the options in the dialog box. When you are finished, click OK.
Among the changes you can make in the Customize Numbered List dialog box:
- The type of list. Select a style from the Number style drop-down list. Styles include Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3), Roman numerals (I, II, III), alphabetic (A, B, C), ordinal (1st, 2nd, 3rd) and more.
- The punctuation before after the number. Type the punctuation before and/or after the number in the Number format box.
- The starting number. Configure the Start At box.
- The font of the list. It is not terribly common to change the font, but you might want the numbers on the list to be a different size or color than the text of each list item. If so, click Font.
- The Number position. The drop-down list allows you to select Left, Centered and Right.
The difference between Left and Right is easiest to see with an example, where a list begins to have more than 9 items:
Notice the right-aligned numbers align on the punctuation mark, versus the left-aligned numbers that align on the left side of the number.
The Align at setting configures the distance between the left margin and the side of the number selected in the drop-down list.
- Set the Text position--the distance between the number and the text. The Tab space after configures the position of the first line of the list paragraph. The Indent at configures the distance between the left margin and the second and successive lines of a list paragraph.
The Tab space after and Indent at settings in the Text position section are typically set to be the same. You can experiment with the settings and use the preview to configure the list to your specifications.