You should spend some time configuring the options that control how each application behaves. Most of these options are found in the Tools → Options command.
In the Options dialog box, you will have access to dozens of configuration choices.
- If you understand an option and want to change it, do.
- If you are unsure what an option means, click the Help button in the upper-right corner of the Options dialog box.
The list below shows some options that many users modify:
- How many entries appear in the Recently used file list (On the General tab).
- Save options such as the default file location (Word: Save and File Locations; PowerPoint: Save; Excel: General and Save)
- In PowerPoint, on the Save tab, be sure to disable (deselect) Allow Fast Saves. This option can contribute to bloated file size and does not provide benefits that outweigh the headaches and security issues it introduces.