The PDF (portable document format) file type is a special type of file that:
- can be viewed on any computer with a PDF reader, such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader (available at www.adobe.com).
- is an efficient, small format.
- maintains formatting and layout of the original document.
- is more secure than many original documents, as the PDF contains less personally-identifiable information, revision history, and other metadata.
To create a PDF, you need PDF creation software installed, such as the full version of Adobe Acrobat.
Once you have Acrobat installed, you can create a PDF by simply printing to the PDF printer.
- Choose File → Print.
- Click the drop-down arrow next to the Printer.
- Look for the Adobe Acrobat option. Depending on the version of Acrobat installed on your system, it may be listed as Adobe PDF, Acrobat Distiller, or another similar name.
- Click the OK button.
- Acrobat will ask you for a name and location to save the PDF.