To create a mailing label:
- Choose Tools → Letters and Mailings ? Envelopes and Labels.
The Envelopes and Labels dialog box will help you generate the label.
You can enter addresses in the Address section by doing one of the following:
- First, you can pre-populate the address. If you have created a letter with the recipient's address at the top of the letter, Word will automatically detect the address and put it in the Address section. If Word does not correctly detect the address that you have already entered in the document, just select the address first, then choose the Tools ? Letters and Mailings ? Envelopes and Labels command. The selected address will be placed in the Address section.
- Second, you can click the Insert Address button next to the Address section. This button will allow you to search for contacts in Outlook.
- Third, you can type the address directly into the Address section.
- Fourth, you can select a recently-used address by clicking the drop-down arrow on the Insert Address button.
The Options button allows you to specify a label size. Select the label manufacturer using the Label products list, then select the label model in the Product number list.
If you need to modify the dimensions, margins, or other characteristics of the label, click Details. Be cautious about making modifications to pre-defined label templates, as you cannot reset the template to its default configuration. It is a better practice to select a label type that is as close as possible, then click New Label, which allows you to define a new, custom label template based on the currently selected label type.
After configuring Label Options, do one of the following:
- To print a single label to the addressee, select Single label in the Print section of the Label tab. Specify which label is the first available label on the sheet by configuring the Row and Column. This allows you to insert a partially used label sheet and continue printing labels on the sheet. Click Print.
- To print a full sheet of labels to the same addressee, select Full page of the same label in the Print section of the Label tab. This is useful if you plan to send multiple items to the same addressee, or to create a sheet of identical labels, for example return address labels. Then click Print.
- To create an full sheet of labels that you can use in the future, select Full page of the same label in the Print section of the Label tab. Then click New Document. A new document is generated containing a table correctly laid out for the dimensions of the labels, with the addressee repeated in each cell.
- To create a full sheet of blank labels, delete any information in the Address field. Select Full page of the same label in the Print section of the Label tab. Then click New Document. A new document is generated containing a table correctly laid out for the dimensions of the labels.