To create a footnote or endnote:
- Position the insertion point after the text, where you want the reference number or symbol to appear.
- Choose Insert → Reference ? Footnote.
- Select Footnotes or Endnotes.
Both are references. The only difference is that footnotes appear on the same page as the reference, whereas endnotes are collected at the end of the document.
- Configure the appearance of the reference using the Format section.
Each section supports one format for footnotes, and one format for end notes in that section. If you need to vary footnote or endnote formatting, you will need to break your document into sections.
- Click Insert.
- Your insertion point appears where the content of the note will appear. Enter the content for the note.