- Insert a section break (next page, odd page, or even page) before changing header or footer content.
- Activate the header or footer you want to change by choosing View → Header and Footer or by double-clicking the header or footer.
- Deselect the Link to Previous button in the Header and Footer toolbar.
- To create a unique header/footer for the first page in a section, including a blank header/footer so there is no page number, for example, click the Page Setup button and select Different First Page.
- To create unique headers/footers for the odd and even pages in a document, click the Page Setup button and select Different Odd and Even.