A. The full error you receive on start-up is
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys
To resolve this error, you need to use the Recovery Console (RC) to replace the ntfs.sys file by performing the following steps:
- Insert the XP installation CD-ROM and reboot your machine.
- When the installation menu appears, press the R key to start an RC session.
- When prompted, select the installation and enter the Administrator password.
- At the console, navigate to the system32\drivers folder, assuming your Windows folder is called "windows," by typing
- Rename the current ntfs.sys file by typing
ren ntfs.sys ntfs.bad
- Copy the ntfs.sys file from your installation CD-ROM to your current location by tying
copy <drive letter>:\i386\ntfs.sys .Be sure you include the period at the end of the command to instruct your system to use the current location.
- Remove the XP installation CD-ROM, then restart your machine.