Q: How can I add a trust root certificate to an iOS device?
A: As part of testing many different devices on my internal network, I need iOS devices to trust my internal enterprise root CA so all certificates it issues will be trusted. To do this, I performed the following:
- Download the iPhone Configuration Utility.
- Make sure the certificate you want to deploy to the iOS device is installed on your machine.
- Launch the tool.
- Select the Configuration Profiles workspace area.
- Click the New button.
- Under General, select a name such as Root Certificate Trust, and all other mandatory fields.
- Select the Credentials area, and click the Configure button.
Select the certificate you wantto trust, then click OK.
- Connect the iOS device.
- The device will show under Devices;select it.
- Select the devices Configuration Profiles tab.
The new profile will be displayed. Click Install.
- A message will be displayed on the iOS device prompting the user to click Install. Click Install on the device.
Click Install Now to the confirmation.
- You will be prompted for your passcode, then the screen will change to Profile Installed. Click the Done button
Your device will now trust your internal Enterprise CA! I tested this on iOS7 with no problems.