Marking the second firmware update this month for the Surface Pro 3, a new update has been available today to help work through some glaring issues with the Microsoft branded tablet.
Available already if you check Windows Update, the latest firmware addresses the following components:
- Surface Pro UEFI update (v188.8.131.52) enhances the system stability, increases the reliability of the graphics display performance, and adds a status bar to the experience when applying future System Firmware Updates.
- Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware update (v184.108.40.206) increases the reliability of sleep state transitions with a Surface Pro 3 Docking Station connected.
- Surface Integration update (v2.0.1168.0) addresses setting the Hibernate value in Windows 10.
- Intel(R) 8 Series PCI Express Root Port #3 - 9C14 update (v2.0.1151.0) addresses cases when the Wi-Fi adapter is not available upon resuming the system from sleep.
- Wireless Network Controller and Bluetooth driver update (v15.68.3059.117) improves Wi-Fi throughput, especially after rebooting with Bluetooth devices that are paired, enhances power consumption situations, and addresses instances of system instability.
You might remember that Microsoft also released a firmware update on the 6th of this month, but the update only served to provide new Pen capabilities in preparation for a new Windows Store app to release that contained Pen configuration adjustments. At that time, though, Microsoft promised another update in the following weeks that would further address Wi-Fi issues that have plagued the Surface Pro 3 since its release.
As you can see from the list of improvements in this update, Wi-Fi is definitely captured in the firmware. More interesting, though, is that a fix for a problem specific to Windows 10 (still in beta) is included. This might be the first such update that has a component focused on Microsoft's next operating system.
I'll be applying this for myself soon, though I've never experienced the Wi-Fi issues reported by others. If you have had Wi-Fi problems with your Surface Pro 3, let me know if this firmware update finally fixes your issues.