The last time we saw updates to the Microsoft's Surface lines, it was the second week of March 2014 and quite a bit colder outside. For a company intent on ensuring the devices are stable enough to weather an ever-fickle market, that's a mighty long time.
For this month's Patch Tuesday, Microsoft has released Firmware updates for its Surface Pro 2 and Surface 2 devices. There are no updates being made available for the original Surface Pro, which marks the first month since the unit's release that it has not seen an update along with the other models. With the Surface Pro 3 just releasing, it could be that Microsoft is simply "done" with the originals. We'll have to wait and see for subsequent update cycles, but Surface RT, of course, hasn't had an update since January 2014.
Here's what's available today…
- Surface 2 UEFI (v4.21.500.0) update enhances overall system stability, including boot and reboot scenarios, compatibility with Surface Power Cover, and increased battery life when Surface 2 is not in use.
- System Aggregator Firmware (v1.0.50500.0) update enhances the charging behavior of the Power Cover.
- Surface Power Cover Firmware Update (v2.0.595.0) update improves battery life when using the Power Cover with Surface 2.
- Surface Platform Power Driver (v2.0.557.0) update improves battery life when used with the Surface Power Cover.
- Audio Driver Set (v 126.96.36.19919) and Display Driver Set (v 188.8.131.5218). This update provides enhanced support for external displays, improves the Miracast experience, and enhances the overall system stability while reducing power consumption in many scenarios.
- Surface Accessory Device (v2.0.583.0) update enhances the experience when using a Surface Cover.
- Wireless Network Controller (v14.62.28061.10179) and Bluetooth (v14.62.28061.10179) update simplifies and improves tethering for Surface 2 4G LTE. (specific to the Surface 2 4G LTE only)
Surface Pro 2
- Surface Pro UEFI (v2.4.950.0) and Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware (v184.108.40.206) updates enhance system stability with microSD products, improves compatibility with Power Cover, and increases the reliability of sleep state transitions. Surface Pro UEFI update also provides support for PXE boot with the new Surface Ethernet Adapter.
- Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware (v2.4.350.0) update improves sleep state transitions when a Surface Cover is attached.
- Surface Accessory Device (v2.0.287.0) update improves sleep state transitions when a Surface Cover is attached.
- Surface Power Cover Firmware Update (v2.0.288.0) improves reliability when the Power Cover is attached to Surface and folded behind Surface.
- HD Graphics Family (v10.18.10.3496) update improves Miracast wireless display experience and enhances display stability.