Converged infrastructure is gaining steam in the enterprise, and more and more organizations are looking for IT professionals who can help to fully exploit the technology—either as their job or as part of their job. Based on a survey of postings for converged infrastructure specialists, here are 10 things you need to get hired.
- Expertise in virtualization technologies
- Demonstrated success in aligning enterprise workloads with hosting platforms, such as cloud or converged infrastructure
- Expertise in storage, compute and networking technologies
- Experience with replication technology
- Experience with archiving technology
- Ability to develop and implement backup and disaster recovery strategy
- Ability to provide direction and advice pertaining to capacity planning
- Ability to collaborate with business leaders and development teams to ascertain immediate and future storage, compute and networking needs based on both day-to-day operations and strategic initiatives
- Demonstrated proficiency in project management
- Understanding of financial issues related to projects and budgets, including CapEx vs. OpEx, total cost of ownership, return on investment and net present value
It’s clear that the ideal person for a converged infrastructure specialist will be something of a Jack-of-all-trades. That makes sense, since converged infrastructure combines server, storage and network infrastructure systems with management software that facilitates provisioning and management.
What qualifications would your company want in a converged infrastructure specialist? Please let us know in the comments section below.
Underwritten by HPE
Part of HPE’s Power of One strategy, HPE Converged Architecture 700 delivers infrastructure as one integrated stack. HPE Converged Architecture 700 delivers proven, repeatable building blocks of infrastructure maintained by one management platform (HPE OneView), built and delivered exclusively by qualified HPE Channel Partners. This methodology saves considerable time and resources, compared to the do-it-yourself (DIY) approach.
Based on a complete HPE stack consisting of HPE BladeSystem with Intel® Xeon® E5 v3-based HPE ProLiant BL460c Gen9 blades, HPE 3PAR StoreServ all-flash storage, HPE Networking, and HPE OneView infrastructure management software, the HPE Converged Architecture 700 can be easily modified to fit within your existing IT environment.