At VMworld Europe 2013 in Barcelona VMware announced a series of significant enhancements to their virtualization and cloud management products. Ramin Sayar, senior vice president and general manager, Cloud Management, VMware described their new announcements saying “VMware cloud management solutions enable IT to deliver this agility while standardizing and ensuring governance and control”. VMware announced the following new releases at VMworld Europe: VMware vCloud Automation Center 6.0, VMware vCenter Operations Management Suite 5.8, VMware vCenter Log Insight 1.5, VMware IT Business Management Suite, and vSphere Data Protection 5.5 Advanced. Here’s some details about the new releases:
- vCloud Automation Center 6.0 – The changes to the vCloud Automation Center enable customers to create their own custom IT services. In addition, the 6.0 release introduces support for VMware’s vCloud Hybrid Service. VMware’s vCloud Automation Center 6.0 is included in the VMware vCloud Suite 5.5.
- vCenter Operations Management Suite 5.8 – The updated vCenter Operation Management Suite 5.8 now provides enhanced performance monitoring for business critical applications including Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft SQL Server. In addition, it provides deeper visibility into applications running on Microsoft Hyper-V and Amazon Web Services. The vCenter Operations Management suite is included in the VCloud Suite 5.5.
- vCenter Log Insight 1.5 – The new vCenter Log Insight 1.5 product delivers real-time operational insights by monitoring log data from applications and combining it with data analytics of structured and unstructured data for end-to-end operations management. VMware’s vCenter Log Insight is priced at $200 per operating system instance.
- VMware IT Business Management Suite – The new VMware IT Business Management Suite Standard Edition 1.0 is designed to help smaller and medium sized organizations understand the cost and consumption of their virtual infrastructure across private and public cloud environments. In addition, the VMware IT Business Management Suite Advanced and Enterprise Edition 8.0 provides integration with VMware IT Benchmarking allowing enterprises to compare the cost of their services against industry peers and other similar companies. The VMware IT Business Management SuiteAdvanced and Enterprise Editions are licensed per user.
- vSphere Data Protection 5.5 Advanced – Based on EMC’s Avamar data protection technology, VMware vSphere Data Protection 5.5 Advanced provides network-efficient backup, data replication, integration with EMC Data Domain. The 5.5 release includes a new Microsoft SharePoint agent, and automated backup verification. VMware vSphere Data Protection Advanced 5.5 is expected to be available in Q4 2013, and is priced at $1,095 per processor
For more detailed information about the recent VMware releases you can check out the VMware Company Blog.