Developer: Infinity Ward
Call of Duty 2 redefines the cinematic intensity and chaos of battle as seen through the eyes of ordinary soldiers fighting together in epic WWII conflicts. The sequel to 2003's Call of Duty, winner of over 80 Game of the Year awards, Call of Duty 2 offers more immense, more intense, more realistic battles than ever before, thanks to the stunning visuals of the new COD2 engine.
- The #1 WWII shooter development team returns with an amazing new experience: Developed by Infinity Ward, creators of the award-winning Call of Duty. All-new, unprecedented enhancements from stunningly realistic graphics to seamless gameplay, thanks to the revolutionary COD2 engine, groundbreaking AI, and choice-based gameplay innovations. Beautifully rendered snow, rain, fog, and smoke, combined with dynamic lighting and shadows, make this the most intense WWII shooter yet.
- New conflicts and enemies to face: Call of Duty 2 brings you bigger battles, with more tanks, troops, and explosions on-screen, and bigger scope, with a wide range of locales and environments across the European Theater. Fight "The Desert Fox" across the scorching sands of North Africa as wave upon wave of tanks clash in the desert. Use rocket-propelled grappling hooks alongside your Army Ranger squad to storm and scale the cliffs of Pointe du Hoc against a relentless German counterassault, and slog through urban chaos as a tank hunter in war-torn Russia.
- Rely on your squad as never before: The dozens of Allied soldiers surrounding you are fully aware of the changing situations around them, and will let you know using an all-new, context-sensitive battle chatter system. They will draw enemy fire, lay down cover for you, use foxholes and moving tanks for cover, and warn you of incoming enemy troops and hostile fire.
- Choice-based gameplay: Play through missions in the order you see fit. Will you decide to play first as a sniper or as a tank commander? It?s your call. Open-ended battlefields allow you to individualize your tactics and choose the order in which you complete your objectives.
- Multiplayer Mayhem: Go online for intense Axis vs. Allies team-based multiplayer action, building on the hugely popular Call of Duty multiplayer modes.
Official Web site
I've written three extensive reviews of Call of Duty 2, one that focuses on single-player play and two that focus on multiplayer:
Call of Duty 2 for Xbox 360 Review
Date reviewed: November 24, 2005
Extract: While Call of Duty 2 can hardly be called revolutionary, it's still a solid, wonderfully playable game and a great introduction to the graphical prowess of Xbox 360. On my gaming PC rig, I run COD2 at 1920 x 1200 with all the effects on, and the Xbox 360 version is identical looking on an HDTV display, while offering identical game play to boot. The three story lines are totally immersive and interesting, the action is realistic, and the music and sound effects all add to the drama. Overall, you could do far worse than Call of Duty 2, especially if you appreciate a bit of history with your action and prefer the single player experience. This is absolutely one of the best Xbox 360 launch titles. Highly recommended.
Call of Duty 2 for Xbox 360 Multiplayer Review
Date reviewed: February 19, 2006
Extract: Call of Duty remains my favorite Xbox 360 launch title, and the multiplayer component only enhances the overall game, even with a few niggling problems. I'm a bit bothered that the Xbox 360 version of this game doesn't have all of the multiplayer options of the PC version, but it's a far cry better than nothing. More to the point, COD2 multiplayer is an absolutely stunning experience, once you get into a game. If you're a fan of first person shooters, online deathmatches, or a World War II buff, this isn't a game to be missed.
Call of Duty 2 Bonus, Skirmish and Invasion Pack for Xbox 360 Review
Date reviewed: July 31, 2006
Extract: Activision has been kind to Xbox 360 gamers this year, largely because Call of Duty 2 has turned out to be the most popular game on the Xbox 360 by far. It has released a total of 9 new multiplayer maps for Call of Duty 2 on Xbox 360 since May. Some are actually free, which I think was a nice touch. Most, however, require a purchase via Xbox Live Marketplace. The maps were released in two waves, if you will. The first wave consists of the Bonus Pack, which is free and contains two maps. The second set, dubbed the Skirmish Pack, also consists of two maps, but you must pay to get them. Both of these map packs arrived in May. The second set, called the Invasion Pack, consists of 5 maps. Like the Skirmish Pack, the Invasion Pack is a paid Xbox Live Marketplace download only.
Check out screenshots of Call of Duty 2 gameplay in my Call of Duty 2 screenshot gallery.
There are two Call of Duty 2 movies available:
Official Call of Duty 2 trailer in high-definition (93.2 MB)
Call of Duty 2 for Xbox 360 Game Play (2 MB)
Check out my Xbox 360 Activity Center for a cool front-end to all of the Xbox-related content I've created!
Paul plays Xbox